Monday, May 01, 2006

Mexican't Day in O.C.

"Mexican't" is my son's name for this day.

NO se puede?

Well, I made my trip to the neighborhood Jack-in-the-Box, scoped out the block, and sent a comment to Lou Dobbs (my first - this is no habit).

As far as I can tell, there is no difference whatsoever in my neighborhood. It's almost anti-climactic. Maybe the news has hyped this too much? (ratings) Maybe I need a break from the news? (yes)

I got my Breakfast Ciabatta (sp?) from the usual workers who are clearly Mexican - in fairness, Spanish-speaking - immigrants, legal or not. They certainly don't know English well. The Jack-in-the-Box was busy, with its usual long drive-thru line.

Bus stops up and down the block - a favorite of the many Mexican immigrants here - legal or not - were full.

The party's over. Now's the time for our government to get its act together on this illegal immigrant issue and stop stalling. For the sake of immigrants of whatever stripe and legality, and for all the rest of us as well.

Oh, I hear a "Yahoo!", another E-Mail from my irate Latina in-law - she's angrier about the "illegals" than anyone I know. She and her husband are legal immigrants from Chile.

Signing off,

Daughter of a legal Swedish immigrant

No comments: