Friday, November 11, 2005

Times Plans New Op-Ed Lineup - Los Angeles Times [Times continues its dumbing down?]

Times Plans New Op-Ed Lineup - Los Angeles Times

IMHO, the Times Op/Ed page, along with its counterpart in the Sunday Times, is losing its grip. Dumbing down. This subscriber is sorry to see this.

I'm also sorry to see Robert Scheer and Michael Ramirez let go.

As to (Pulitzer Prize-winning) Michael Ramirez, while most of the time I don't agree with his political views, I do respect him as an editorial cartoonist.

I also like and respect him as a man. As a college student I was required to interview someone in my career field. I picked Michael Ramirez and sent him an E-Mail requesting the interview. He sent me his phone number and we talked. Ramirez was gracious and generous with his time. Very helpful and told me not to hesitate to contact him for help in the future. I was very impressed that he would take so much time and trouble to talk to mere me, art student.

I'll point out that Ramirez emphasized to me the importance of editorial cartooning, and how he felt it was an important tradition that needed to be carried on.

He didn't need to convince me - I totally agree. If you visit my website's Weekly Wazzup Page and News & Views Page you'll notice the links to editorial cartoons.

And, I do hope the Times will smarten up instead of continuing to dumb down... Please.

No comments: