Thursday, September 08, 2005

CNN.com - FBI: Hurricane relief Internet scams proliferate

CNN.com - FBI: Hurricane relief Internet scams proliferate - Sep 8, 2005

Jeez, the scumbags!

Must be the same people who fill my Yahoo "Bulk Folder" with their phishing and their Nigerian what-its and whatevers. I look at the headers only long enough to note that they're trash, then treat them accordingly, as I'm sure you do, too.

I thought it was interesting how I had to submit a long and legal agreement to the Red Cross in order to be able to use one of their Web banners. I concluded it was the donation aspect - the money aspect - that caused the Red Cross to be so careful. I can appreciate that.

Anyway, please do be careful to whom you donate. It is so easy to set up a website and Photoshop anything into whatever (remember, I have a graphic-design business, I know), that it is so easy to be fooled. Have you received any phishing yet, fake PayPal, eBay, or Yahoo E-Mails? They look very, very real, even to this graphic professional. I almost got fooled by one. Helps to check the "full headers" to see where they're really from. It also helps to go directly to eBay, PayPal, etc. to do business with them. Go directly to their sites instead; don't click that supposed link to their site in that questionable E-Mail. OIOW, when in doubt about a phony or a phish, just go directly to the eBay, or PayPal, or Yahoo, etc. websites to see what they want.

Also, I recommend sticking with the trusted charities you've long known, such as the Red Cross. Charities which already have a good reputation and a long record of good deeds.

No comments: